BA Malayalam (Vocational) Copy Writing
In July, 1965, a division was established to provide Malayalam language as a second option to the students. And in December, 1998, a full-fledged department was formed with the commencement of BA Malayalam (Vocational) Copy Writing Course. This was the first Vocational Malayalam Course offered in Kerala. The department started under the auspicious headship of Prof. Somavarma Raja. In line with the objective of the vocational nature of the course, students who passed in the course were able to land in good careers in various reputed media houses. And so many students are also successfully placed in the teaching profession.
In January, 2004 a Media Lab was opened to the students to introduce them to various skills and technologies in the media industry. This media lab has turned out to be very helpful for the students in acquiring and horning needed skills and technological knowhow, thereby increasing their chances of being placed successfully in the industry.
An Add-on Course in ‘Broadcast Content Development for TV and Radio’ was initiated in the year 2014 by the department for the entire students of the college. Today the department has grown into a strong well cohesive team which is successful in bringing out motivated and well trained candidates to be placed in the industry and society as professionals and good humans.
- Equal focus on the creative and academic abilities of the students
- Vocational Course
- Young, dedicated and committed faculty team
- Creatively inclined team of faculty that spearheads various activities of the department
- Various extra-curricular activities and industry interactions focused at the development of the students
- On the job training for students
- Focus on student’s holistic development with equal importance given to social sensitization
- Each year a hand written magazine ‘Madhuram Malayalam’ is published solely by the students.
- Students of the department under the guidance of the faculty team publish a full-fledged printed newspaper ‘Gulmohar’ once every year.
- Lectures, presentations and debates
- On the job training
- Exhibiting students to Advertisements, Documentaries and Films
- Seminars and Assignments based learning
- Focus on guided self learning
- Industry interactions
Department has a very vibrant Malayalam Association which regularly conducts activities in a very planned and structured manner giving focus to the career aspirations of the students. The entire faculty team and the students of the department are members of the association. The department has a very active Malayalam Old Students Association (MOSA) which involves in the activities of the department as and when required.
- An annual ‘Vayanaa Vaaram’ to inculcate reading habit in students is conducted by the department.
- ‘Keralapiravi Dinaacharanam’ is celebrated by holding a seminar on 1st of November every year.
- In association with District Industrial Department, Seminar and exhibition are conducted to promote Handloom among the public. Copy Writing and Elocution Competition are held for the students on this day.
- National Seminars are organised every year in media related topics.
- Every year a Five Day Seminar is held with focus on five various academic topics of the course.
- Students of the department get selected to institutions of repute for their higher education.
- Our students get well placed in various media houses and many are successfully engaged in teaching profession too.
- The course has encouraged a few students to be entrepreneurs and start their own video and photography services.
- With the mentoring and encouragement from the part of the faculty team, many of our students have achieved awards and prizes at university level competitions.